Friday 8 May 2015

Co. Armagh and Co. Monaghan


The Boyne Valley in the Ice Age

Driving from Newgrange to Newry, to pick up the latest edition of ES2k magazine from a colleague at the Northern Ireland branch of the British Geological Survey, our meeting in the very large car park of an out of town shopping centre was quite memorable.

With a mobile phone, to give directions – and sticking our hands high into the air – we finally found each other and, as always in Ireland, this brief encounter was full of good humour.

During my previous visit to Northern Ireland, I had been very conscious about crossing the border and, laughing to myself now, I could imagine what the security cameras might of thought of this meeting during the time of the troubles” - if they had seen such an exchange of heavy boxes from van to van.

With this transaction between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland successfully negotiated, I headed off to Monaghan - crossing this border again. I had set off from Dublin in one of the small Renault Kangoo vans, having been assured that it was capable of carrying the load that I was about to collect.

Driving up and around some remarkable drumlins, on roads that were not always in the very best condition, I am very sure that the back axle was given a comprehensive mechanical test.

Caves and Limestone Scenery in Northern Ireland
Having safely delivered my cargo, I returned to Dublin by the quickest route. I have since reflected on the way that an interest in the geology of the island of Ireland has no political boundaries and there is much collaboration between the south and north - which has resulted in very many good publications and other initiatives that are aimed at the Geotourist.

When Finnian O’Connor – the student intern who shared my office – asked me to photograph some of the very many Geotourism booklets and leaflets held in the basement of the GSI, to include in his final report to the head of the Heritage and Planning section, I was more than happy to help. 


 
A selection of Geotourism leaflets held at the GSI