Wednesday 18 June 2014

In Paraguay

 
A piece of Cerro Koi

My holiday in Catalunya opened up my eyes a little bit wider to the idea of Geodiversity and, with a bit of collaborative effort, I don’t think that it is too hard to produce some ‘offbeat’ publicity material that highlights this – especially in a place that is already popular with tourists.

The River Paraguay
In a place like Paraguay, things are completely different. As a landlocked country in the centre of South America, with a recent history as a longstanding one party state, it is not an obvious tourist attraction. 

Although that I knew that I was going to the Iguazú Falls, I didn’t think about the geology that I would encounter until I looked out of the window when the plane was coming in to land. I was struck by just how red the land looked and it was how I imagined the weathering of the rocks to be in a sub-tropical climate, as I had read in textbooks.

The spectacular sunsets over Asunción - the capital city - would not be the same, unless the red dust was hanging in the air.

With my curiosity aroused, I set out to try and find a geological map, as a keepsake to remind me of my visit. In England, this is so easy to do, but not in Paraguay; however, I finally found one, only to discover that its incredible size prevented it from being easily sent in the post, let alone going back with me to England on the plane.

Cerros Koi y Choroi
Along the way, the geology students at the Universidad Nacional de Asunción were keen to talk, and their tutors were very helpful too. Taking their advice, I visited Cerros Koi y Choroi, one of only three sites in the world where this geological phenomenon is known.

Without more information to help me, I just wandered around this fantastic site and it took a considerable amount of research, back in the UK, before I could confirm that this is a sandstone.