Monday 28 December 2015

Continuing Professional Development


A CPD seminar and field trip for surveyors and architects

Working as a professional, effective verbal communication is essential, as I discovered when trying to explain the often complex legislation behind various taxes on property – during my time with the Valuation Office/District Valuer.


A job well done in the restoration industry

Moving on to the building restoration industry in London, the skills that I had developed over the previous 5 years were refined in a very competitive commercial environment – firstly as a contracts manager and then as a director of Triton Building Restoration Ltd.


An illustrated talk for the Treeton Local History Group

Knocking on doors and cold calling on the phone, it was enthusiasm more than any established sales technique that Ied to a stream of enquiries and, when representing my company at various trade exhibitions, I was in my element – talking to potential clients face to face.

Education
Moving away from London, it seemed natural to lead various walks and attend rock and fossil shows - aimed at the public of all ages - as part of the promotional activities with the South Yorkshire RIGS Group

I would provide explanations and answer many questions about various aspects of geology and before too long - developing an interest in formal education - I was teaching geology to adults at the WEA.

In England, geological science has fallen way down the list of priorities in many schools, universities and museums but, as a steady flow of illustrated talks to various natural history, local history and conservation societies confirms, there is still a latent and very deep interest in this extremely diverse subject.

My illustrated talks essentially draw upon my experience of building restoration and geological conservation; I have always thought that these, like the publication Building in Stone, could easily be adapted for a range of aspiring or established professionals.


The terminology of the stone trade

Architects, surveyors, engineers, ecologists and town planners are just a few of the professions that have needed to take my advice - perhaps CPD seminars, combined with field trips, are just one way for other professionals like these to learn a little bit more about the Language of Stone?



No comments:

Post a Comment