Wednesday 16 December 2015

St. Peter's Church - The Interior


A view of the north arcade and nave at St.Peter's church

Whenever I have visited St. Peter’s church, it has always taken second place to my main reason for visiting Conisbrough – to see the castle – and although I have always known that it is considered to be the oldest building in South Yorkshire, I didn’t know much about the history or the many architectural details found in its interior.


A variety of decorative stones used in the memorials

So many old English parish churches are closed, except during services or limited opening days; although it is possible to obtain a key by prior arrangement, it is not very often that you can just pass by a church and pop in to take a good look at the interior.


Carved capitals

The parishioners take great pride in their church and I’ve always found the door open; my last visit coincided with the harvest festival and I’ve never seen it look so colourful – a reminder that the interiors of the old English churches were often very elaborately decorated and full of people.


A 15th century font

Having blown the dust off an old reference book that has been filed away and had never been opened or read, since buying it more than 25 years ago, I now realise that I could spend many hours taking photographs of the interior of this magnificent church - as well as several others that can be found in South Yorkshire and the surrounding counties...


Saxon churches in South Yorkshire

No comments:

Post a Comment