Friday 2 March 2018

All Hallows by the Tower


A detail of the church of All Hallows by the Tower

When planning my trip to the Tower of London, I had a look on Google Map to see if if there was anything else interesting to see in the area, if I had enough time, and the church of All Hallows by the Tower caught my eye.

A view of the church of All Hallows by the Tower on Google Earth

Finally arriving at Tower Hill later than intended, my immediate thought was to grab a bite to eat and then immediately proceed to the Tower; however, once I saw this church, which contains a mix of architectural styles, I decided that I should take the opportunity to investigate it further.

The east end of All Hallows by the Tower

Having surveyed numerous mediaeval churches in and around South Yorkshire during the previous 9 months, to look at their building stones and construction history, I immediately switched into “archaeology mode” and a quick walk around its exterior provided me with enough information to analyse this further at a later date.

Construction details of the nave and north aisle

Starting at the east end, although this elevation was partially obscured by trees when I saw it, the tall mid 20th century red brick nave contrasts strongly with the stone built 15th century aisles that lie alongside it. Looking more closely at the nave – destroyed in WWII – it is seen to sit on Kentish ragstone rubble walling of 13/14th century date, which is very different in character to the Reigate stone used for ashlar in the aisles.

The east end of the south aisle

The latter contains numerous distinctly green coloured blocks, which I had only seen in samples of Hurdcott stone from Wiltshire, when acquiring stone samples for the Triton Stone Library, and in Spilsby sandstone that has been widely used in the ancient monuments and mediaeval churches of north-east Lincolnshire.

An investigation of  Lincolnshire Greenstone

Looking at the window dressings, and the frieze sculpture and parapets at a higher level, these appear to be Bath stone and possibly Portland stone respectively, although I didn't stop long enough to examine them in depth.

The frieze sculpture

Continuing clockwise around the church, later additions include a 20th century south-west wing in brick and limestone, the brick tower of 1658 from which Samuel Pepys observed the Great Fire of London – with a copper clad steeple built in 1958 – and a late 19th century north porch. 

A view of the south elevation

No comments:

Post a Comment