Tuesday 1 December 2020

Hail Mary Hill Wood & Falconer Wood


A view towards Smallage Farm

Following on from my exploration of Treeton Wood, during the COVID-19 Lockdown in April 2020, my investigation of the geology and geomorphology around Treeton continued with a walk along the escarpment of Treeton Rock from Hail Mary Hill to Smallage Farm.

Starting at Wood Lane, I carried on out of the village and up the hill to Treeton Grange and, taking the first marked path into Treeton Wood, quickly walked down to the stream where I gathered some more wild garlic before heading across the field to Hail Hill Mary Wood.
 
A view of the dip slope on the walk up Hail Mary Hill

The main path makes its way around a steep sided angular spur of Treeton Rock that forms Hail Mary Hill, but I instead headed up a path that runs up alongside the ploughed field. From here, there are good views of the dip slope between Treeton Wood and Hail Hill Mary Wood.
 
A mining bee

There is a known Mesolithic site at the summit of Hail Mary Hill, where flint and chert tools were fashioned but, on this occasion, I was more interested in the mining bees that were emerging from many holes in the path that runs across the clearance at the top of the woods here.
 
A view of the summit of Hail Mary Hill

I don’t know much about stone age sites and, the next time I have a walk here, I would like to be accompanied by someone who knows the archaeology of the area well; however, I just stayed long enough to photograph the burned area of woodland on the edge of the escarpment of Treeton Rock.
 
A view towards Treeton Grange

Continuing along the path that runs along the edge of the escarpment, I didn’t see any signs of hard rock exposures in the steeply falling ground to the west and, stopping only to photograph the landscape towards Treeton Grange and the bluebells, I carried on to Falconer Wood.
 
Bluebells

For some distance, the path follows the edge of the wood - from which views down the dip slope towards Treeton Wood can be seen - and then rises noticeably, before cutting obliquely down the escarpment to join the main path through the woods.
 
An escarpment in Falconer Wood

Passing an electricity pylon, which makes an easily distinguishable landmark for further investigation of the area on an Ordnance Survey map, I then walked through an area of recently disturbed ground before arriving at Smallage Lane.
 
An electricity pylon in Falconer Wood

As a geologist, my walk had taught me a little more about ‘reading’ various maps map and the scarp and vale topography formed by the Pennine Middle Coal Measures Formation; however, the bedrock here is covered with a very thick blanket of soil that is largely formed by the falling of leaves over an extended period of time.
 
A map of the area around Hail Mary Hill Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment