Saturday 28 November 2020

Treeton Wood - Part 1


Bluebells in Treeton Wood

As I had expected during my first few walks around Treeton, during the COVID-19 Lockdown, I didn’t find a single rock outcrop but, having walked up and down a few hills and surveyed the landscape around me, I now had a better understanding of the geomorphology and how this relates to the underlying geology.
 
For my next walk, I decided to go and further explore Treeton Wood which, like Treeton Dyke and the River Rother, is within easy walking distance from the centre of Treeton but I had only visited it once or twice a few years ago.
 
A view from Wood Lane

Starting from St. Helen’s church and continuing along Wood Lane towards Aughton, past the new housing estate at the edge of the village, the land rises up to Treeton Grange. From this stretch of road, a vale of ploughed agricultural land can be seen in the distance – separating Treeton Wood and Hail Mary Hill Wood.
 
A simplified geological map of the area around Treeton

Looking at the Geology of Britain Viewer map, the Pennine Middle Coal Measures Formation strata here are marked in green (sandstone) and grey (mudstone), with recent alluvial deposits laid down by the River Rother and its tributaries shown in very pale yellow.
 
A view of Hail Mary Hill from Wood Lane

In general, these strata are tilted a few degrees in a north-easterly direction and the weather resistant sandstones form the higher ground, often with distinct escarpments, and the softer rocks form the vales in between.
 
Treeton Wood

Continuing along Wood Lane, past Treeton Grange, I took the second entrance into Treeton Wood and, although this is not obvious when viewing it on Google Map, I soon encountered an escarpment, where some of the slopes are moderately steep.
 
An escarpment in Treeton Wood
 
The path that I took follows the escarpment through the middle of the wood and I didn’t see any rock outcrops, except at one place where a hollow exposes a small section of fine grained sandstone bedrock and the soil horizons above it.
 
Arock exposure in a hollow in Treeton Wood

Various archaeological finds have been made in Treeton Wood, including embankments said to be Romano-British, but I didn't knowingly encounter any of them and, after stopping to photograph some of the bluebells that cover the wood at this time of the year, I briefly explored the open land to the east of the wood.

A view from Treeton Wood towards Ulley

No comments:

Post a Comment