Sunday 8 July 2018

"Rotherham Red" on the X54 Bus Route




The trip to Eyam with the Sheffield U3A Geology Group proved to be my last day out in 2017 and the winter was spent catching up with the writing of brief reports on the places that I had visited since starting my investigation of St. Helen’s church in Treeton back in February 2016, which had turned into an intensive exploration of the mediaeval churches in South Yorkshire and the surrounding counties. 

St. Helen's church in Treeton

I had been inspired by an encounter with Elmet Archaeological Services Ltd. in Wath-upon-Dearne, who used the nearby All Saints church to provide an introduction to standing buildings archaeology, and having previously worked for archaeologists at All Saints church in Pontefract and Brodsworth Hall – for a pre-restoration survey and a contribution to the Conservation Plan respectively – I thought that my experience made me suitable for undertaking this kind of work. 

The interior of St. Helen's church in Treeton

When the Aston-cum-Aughton History Group contacted me from the Sheffield libraries database to ask me to give a talk, I immediately thought of the investigations of the mediaeval churches in Treeton, Aston, Todwick and Harthill that I had undertaken in this part of Rotherham on the X54 bus – all of which lie on the red coloured Mexborough Rock, which is known locally as Rotherham Red sandstone. 

All Hallows church in Harthill

As an introduction to the geology, building stones and construction history of the medieval churches found within a short distance of the village of Aston, this talk went down very well with the full house and, on the strength of this, I have since been invited by one of the attendees to give a similar talk to the Friends of Rotherham Archives at Clifton Park Museum next year. 

The church of St. Peter and St. Paul in Todwick

In addition to the numerous illustrated talks and guided walks that I have delivered to various local history and conservation groups in South Yorkshire, I have also taught formal courses for the WEA in Rotherham and Sheffield and for Sheffield University adult educational services. 

All Saints church in Aston-cum-Aughton

At Beauchief Abbey, I encountered a group of archaeology students from Sheffield University – whose group leader sought my advice on their finds – and various vicars, churchwardens and architects have also expressed great interest in the work that I was doing. For professionals who need to undertake Continuing Professional Development courses and seminars, perhaps they could also learn a thing or two from me?


No comments:

Post a Comment