Saturday 19 July 2014

The Next Step...


An example of stone conservation in Whiston
During my trip to Murcia, I had hoped to visit La Unión, Mazarrón and the various World Heritage Sites, where there is some fine rock art, but time was running against me.

I didn’t think about it at the time of my visit, as I walked up and down a few hills, but subsequent research into the minerals and mines of the region has led me to the Polytechnic of Cartagena.

As in England, the mineral wealth of Spain has been largely worked out and graduates in the various geological, mining and related engineering disciplines - in all of the universities - have to look further afield for work. They will need to learn another language to succeed in the international job market and this language will probably be English.


Geological Maps

My work as a geologist and surveyor has encompassed quarrying, construction, restoration, conservation, archaeology and art; this reflects my passion for stone in its many forms. Along the way, I have talked with engineers, architects, surveyors, town planners, stonemasons and sculptors, among a wide variety of other people who share this passion in common with me.

I know that the ICOG and the IGME want Spanish geologists to improve their English language skills, to give them a better chance to improve their opportunities in the global workplace; however, having visited Italy several times and also being interested in its language and culture, places like Sicily and Sardinia also interest me.

The natural stones of Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment