Thursday 4 August 2016

All Hallows Church - The Interior


Various polished stones

Having rejuvenated my professional interests in standing buildings archaeology, by thoroughly investigating St. Helen's church in Treeton, I have since visited more than 25 mediaeval churches in the last 6 months.

A fine monument
Knowing that very many of them are now generally locked, on several occasions these visits have had to be by prior appointment - but I have also been surprised to visit a church speculatively and find that it was open when I expected it to be closed, and vice-versa.

Despite my attempts to gain access to the interior of all the churches in Rotherham that I set out to visit this summer, there have been problems in contacting key holders and some of them are still yet to be explored; however, this intensive period of investigation of the geology, landscapes and historic buildings of this region has given me more than enough information – and photographs - to keep me busy for very many months.

Although the interior of All Hallows church in Harthill, with its splendid Italian marbles, still needs to be thoroughly investigated, I decided that it was time to have a break from old churches - for the time being - and made plans to visit Haddon Hall instead.

A view of limestone and sandstone in the nave and chancel arch

No comments:

Post a Comment