Sunday 8 April 2018

The Sheffield Round Walk


On the way to Ecclesall Woods

After exploring a wide variety of historic stone buildings, geological sites when encountered and other places with Geoheritage value, I ended 2016 by exploring Temple Mine and the Peak District Lead Mining Museum in Matlock Bath with the Sheffield U3A Geology Group. With well over 50 places visited and thousands of photographs taken, I then made the most of the winter months by applying my writing skills – recording my observations in this Blog and on TripAdvisor.

In Ecclesall Woods

Following a mild winter, the weather during the spring of 2017 provided some hope that the coming year would be equally productive; however, starting 21 months previously, I had travelled as widely as I reasonably could using public transport from Treeton and, although the bus routes into the Peak District National Park from Sheffield still had some more potential and there were a couple of mediaeval churches that I had not yet seen, I had to think of other places to visit that related to the Language of Stone.

At the top of the Limb Valley

In the summer of 2014, I had explored parts of the Rivelin Valley, the River Sheaf, the Porter Brook and the River Don and I therefore decided to further explore Sheffield's geology and geomorphology and, although I have a limited knowledge of this subect, its industrial archaeology.

Arriving at Ringinglow

When surveying the Regionally Important Geological Site (RIGS) in the Peak District National Park, I had visited various old building stone and brick clay quarries within the Sheffield city boundary and was aware of the significance of local sources of iron ore, coal and ganister in the development of its steel industry, but I had never explored these in any depth.

Endcliffe Park

Undertaking research on the internet, I soon discovered the Sheffield Round Walk, which seemed to suit my exact needs. Gathering further information on points of interest that I might see on my travels, I just looked forward to getting some much needed exercise in the sunshine and to explore some of the parts of rural Sheffield that I had never seen in any detail before.

Ladies Spring Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment