Friday 21 May 2021

A Walk Along Eastgate in Lincoln

 
The remains of the north tower of the Roman east gate

Finally leaving Minster Yard, having had a good look at the exterior of Lincoln Cathedral, I continued my day out in Lincoln with a walk along Eastgate, where I began my exploration of the northern part of ‘uphill’ Lincoln that falls within the boundary of the Roman city walls.
 
The new Lincoln Cathedral visitor centre

Just before leaving Minster Yard, I was interested to see that some recent building work had been carried out to the Old Deanery, which backs on to Eastgate, using blue hearted Ancaster ‘weatherbed’ stone. Although it had still to be fitted out internally, this is the new cathedral visitor centre that was planned for opening in Spring 2021.

A blocked ogee arched doorway

Arriving on Eastgate itself, I turned right and was interested to see a blocked ogee arched doorway with a flat hood mould, which was set into the north boundary wall to the Old Deanery.
 
A blocked window with dog-tooth mouldings

This arch, together with a blocked window with dog-tooth mouldings and other details that I didn’t see – including a fireplace and a statuette on the south side - are C13 details that have been incorporated into the C14 wall.
 
Remains of the Roman east gate

Continuing along Eastgate, I next encountered the remains of the north tower of the Roman east gate, which was built in the C1 and C2 and then extended and altered in the C3, with a semi-circular eastern addition to the rectangular wall turret. It was excavated in 1964, to reveal its ashlar facing stones and rubble core, and was subsequently restored.
 
Stone carvings at the cathedral workshops

Crossing over Priory Gate, I briefly stopped at the entrance to the cathedral workshops for Lincoln Cathedral, where a carved face and a copy of the Lincoln Imp caught my eye. The original is found high up in the Angel Choir, which is popular with tourists, and it has become the symbol of the city.
  
St. Peter's church

When living in Lincoln, I had not gone beyond this part of Eastgate and I carried on past various Grade II Listed buildings, including the C19 St. Peter’s church and a couple of Lincoln stone built houses dating to the C18 and C18, before retracing my steps.
 
No.s 19 and 20 Eastgate
 
Had I known this at the time, I would have then cut up East Bight, where a substantial section of the Roman wall can still be seen; however, I instead carried up Northgate to Church Lane, but the only point of interest was a section of walling, like that seen on Lindum Terrace, where the Lincoln stone has a very variable composition – including blue hearted and ferruginous blocks.

Details of a boundary wall on Church Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment