Sunday 10 April 2022

Glen Howe Park - Part 2

 
The west elevation of the packhorse bridge on Tinker Brook

When arriving at Glen Howe Tower, during my exploration of Glen Howe Park, I was interested to see further examples of stone sculpture, this time a pair entitled Stone Shrubs by Victoria Brailsford, which are placed at each end of a bench and were carved in 1994.
 
Stone Shrubs by Victoria Brailsford
 
Making my way up the main path, I next encountered a small stone bridge crossing Tinker Brook, which has a plaque attached to it that is in memory of Cecil Brearley, the keeper of Glen Howe Park from 1939 to 1974.
 
A bridge with a memorial plaque to Cecil Brearley

This bridge and the cascade just beyond it are the work of the stonemason John Mills, who was the co-founder of the park and, whilst living in Glen Park Tower that he built in 1881, produced troughs and gateposts for sale.
 
A cascade on Tinker Brook

At Glen Howe Tower, a quarry was marked on the information panel to the south-west of the tower, which I went to look for but I couldn't find any signs of it. The only rocks that I could see were those that formed part of a vegetated boulder field that had been exposed by the stream and I still had to wait to obtain a sample.
 
A tributary stream eroding the underlying boulder field

Making my way back down to the stream, I encountered yet another large frieze sculpture by Vic Brailsford that depicts an unknown species of bird, but again there is no information about the work or its date and I continued upstream after taking a couple of photos.
 
A relief sculpture of a bird by Victoria Brailsford

Eventually, I arrived at the Grade II Listed packhorse bridge, which was originally sited on Ewden Beck but, due to it being on the site of the More Hall Reservoir that was being built, Joseph Dixon – the co-founder of Glen Howe Park and local benefactor - paid for it to be dismantled and rebuilt in its current position in 1925.
 
The east elevation of the packhorse bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment