Tuesday 18 April 2023

The Upper Don Trail and Hillsborough

 
Leaving the Kilner Way Retail Park, I carried on down Halifax Road towards Hillsborough and then turned off at Herries Road, along which I continued until I reached the River Don and the Grade II Listed rock faced railway viaduct. 
 
The Herries Road railway viaduct

This was built in 1845 for the Sheffield, Ashton under Lyne and Manchester Railway Co. to a design by Joseph Locke, the eminent railway engineer who I had only become aware of a couple of weeks earlier, when visiting Locke Park in Barnsley.
 
The Greenmoor Rock on the Upper Don Trail

I only took a few photos for the British Listed Buildings website at a distance and joined the Upper Don Trail, from which I hoped to get a close look at the outcrops of Greenmoor Rock that I had seen from Hillsborough Park the previous summer. 

A detail of the Greenmoor Rock

Scrambling up the slope from the riverside path to the fenced off railway cutting, most of the exposure is mudstone, where I couldn’t distinguish any individual beds, but in places the upper section of the escarpment revealed sections of quite massive Greenmoor Rock, which needed my zoom lens to photograph. 
 
Greenmoor Rock in the upper section of the escarpment

Continuing my walk alongside the fence for a few hundred metres, making observations of the Greenmoor Rock where I could see it, I soon arrived at Wardsend Cemetery and carried on down the public footpath to the River Don, without making any attempt to explore it. 
 
Wardsend Cemetery

I then made my way down to the Penistone Road, where I took a few photos of the eastern boundary wall of Hillsborough Barracks, which is made of a massive grey/orange coloured sandstone which, as I had noticed during my investigation a few days earlier, contrasts with the uniformly yellow sandstone used for the barracks buildings. 
 
The perimeter wall at Hillsborough Barracks

My next stop, as I headed north towards Hillsborough Park, was Burrowlee House (1711), which was built for Thomas and Elizabeth Steade and has been altered and extended in the mid and late C19 and the C20; however, I was only able to view it from the street and did not have an opportunity to examine its stonework. 
 
Burrowlee House

Entering Hillsborough Park, having previously been refused permission to enter these gates by a steward during the Tramlines Festival, I photographed the Grade II Listed East Lodge and the separately listed gateway and boundary wall, which were built in the early C19. 
 
The East Lodge and gateway
 
A very coarse grained sandstone, with quite wild orange/brown colour variation, has been used here, but I didn’t examine it closely; however, I didn’t notice any well rounded pebbles that are usually seen in the Chatsworth Grit and it reminds me of the sandstone used for the Sheffield Royal Infirmary, which is considered to be the Loxley Edge Rock. 
 
A detail of the sandstone at East Lodge

From here I proceeded to the coach house and stable to Hillsborough Hall, which had been covered in scaffold and protected by heras fencing during my previous visit but, with the restoration work since completed, it is now open as the Depot Bakery.
 
The coach house to Hillsborough Hall

Moving round to its east elevation, the distinct yellow colouration of the sandstone and the cross-bedding made me think that this and the former Hillsborough Hall, also built by the Steade family, were further examples of Grenoside Sandstone, which I had seen in numerous buildings at Grenoside, Birley Edge and Birley Carr. 
 
The west elevation of Hillsborough Hall
 

No comments:

Post a Comment