Sunday 25 August 2024

Historic Architecture in Sheffield - Part 6

 
Cairns Chambers on Church Street

For my first trip of June 2023, following my visit to Burngreave to look at its war graves and geology, I had arranged to meet Jane Bartholomew, a member of the fledgling Fulwood History Group, who had become aware of my recent talk to the Ranmoor Society and had asked me if I could help with her research on the history of Fulwood Road. 
 
A plaque on the Cutlers' Hall
 
Arriving in Sheffield on the bus from Treeton, I had time on my side before catching the bus to Ranmoor and took a walk along Church Street to West Street. Before I joined in with the British Listed Buildings Photo Challenge, most of the most interesting listed buildings in Sheffield city centre had already been photographed and, except when organising field trips for the Sheffield U3A Geology Group, I had not spent any time looking closely at any of them. 
 
A plaque on the former HSBC bank
 
Having discovered that Stoke Hall stone from Grindleford has been used in the Cutlers’ Hall (1832) and three banks in the vicinity – which may include the former Royal Bank of Scotland (1867) and HSBC (1838) banks on either side – they deserve a closer look but, on this occasion, I just photographed the bronze plaques on these and continued along Church Street to the Grade II Listed Cairns Chambers (1895). 
 
Cairns Chambers
 
I had passed by this building many times and, except for noting the statue of a former Lord High Chancellor, Earl Hugh Cairns, which I have since learned was carved by Frank Tory, I remember it mostly for never having seen the building occupied.
 
The statue of Earl Hugh Cairns

Looking up to the various dressings and intricately carved panels, which I think may actually be Jurassic oolitic limestone rather than Millstone Grit from Derbyshire or West Yorkshire – and therefore requires a closer examination - the grotesques are very similar to those seen just down the road at Parade Chambers (1884), which suggests that these were also carved by Frank Tory. 
 
Various stone dressings at Cairns Chambers
 
Continuing to West Street, I briefly stopped to take a couple of photos of the Grade II Listed Steel City House (1927), a former telephone exchange that incorporated a post office, shops and a bank, but is now used as offices. 
 
A view of Steel City House from Church Street

It was designed by H.T. Rees for H.M. Office of Works in the Classical Revival style, with Portland stone cladding applied to a steel frame. It is another fine building that I have passed by numerous times, but it does have some very interesting details and it deserves further investigation.
 
The west end of Steel City House
 

No comments:

Post a Comment