![]() |
| A keystone on The Chandlers in The Calls |
For the last stage of my British Listed Buildings Photo Challenge in Leeds, from East Street Mills I carried on along East Street and got my first view of the Grade I listed St. Saviour’s church (1842-45) by John Macduff Derick, although this building was not on my list to photograph.
Further along East Street is the former St. Saviour’s School (1839-1840), by R.D. Chantrell for the vicar of Leeds, Dean Hook. It is built in what looks like the coarse grained Rough Rock and has been subsequently used as light industrial premises and later converted into apartments.
Walking up to Everly Road, the Grade II listed boundary wall, gate piers and railings to St. Saviour’s church were next on my Photo Challenge and their main interest lies in the fact that the walling is built with plane bedded sandstone, which is probably from the Elland Flags, with coarse grained Rough Rock used for the coping stones.
I took a couple of photos of the former vicarage to St. Saviour’s church (c.1845), which again was not part of my Photo Challenge and, based on the block size and the general appearance this appears to be also built with the Rough Rock, although I didn’t closely inspect it.
Entering the churchyard, I just took a couple of general photographs of the church but I didn’t see many features of interest. I took more note of the very coarse grained nature of the Rough Rock used to build the church, with quartz pebbles the size of a fingernail.
Continuing along Ellerby Road, I just took a couple of photos of Mount St. Mary’s High School from a distance and then went to try and find a way to get a view of the Grade II* listed St. Mary’s Convent Church and the nearby presbytery.
On Church Road, I found a set of steep steps leading to the back of the school, where I could see that demolition works were taking place, which I presumed to be of the church and presbytery, although the current edition of Google Map seems to show that they are still standing. On my way back down the steps, I noted that the retaining walls to the steps and on Church Road are built with yellowish, plane bedded Elland Flags sandstone.
Walking down Richmond Street, I crossed over several busy main roads until I reached The Calls, where I stopped to take a few photos of The Chandlers (1876), a former brick built mill that was built for William Turton, who was Chairman of both the Bradford Tramway and Omnibus Company, and the Leeds Tramway Company.
The Historic England Historical Note describes the building as being a store for horse feed at a time when horses were vital to the businesses which had to transport goods to and from the railway termini, which probably explains the carving of a horse’s head on the keystone of the carriage arch - another example of the use of the Rough Rock.
Before continuing along Call Lane, I stopped to have a quick look at the road setts and kerbs, which include Shap granite, pink and grey granites that lack the large rectangular phenocrysts, and a very finely grained dark green igneous rock that is generically named whinstone.
Passing Leeds Minster, I just took a couple of photos of its south elevation, without going to have another look the very coarse grained and pebbly Rough Rock, and quickly made my way to Kirkgate Market – where I gave myself a birthday treat at Khao Gaeng Thai.












No comments:
Post a Comment