Monday 9 June 2014

Geoheritage


Geotourism in England


Boston Park
The concept of Geodiversity was embraced by the South Yorkshire RIGS (Regionally Important Geological Sites) Group in its broadest sense, and showcase sites such as Boston Park were selected for their archaeological and historical value, in addition to the geology.

In the Peak District National Park, the geology and geomorphology is an obvious tourist attraction.

When commissioned to survey 150 designated RIGS, my role was to assess the sites that were suitable for inclusion in the tourism management plan and I liaised with various private landowners, quarrying and landfill companies and environmental organisations.


Stone in Ireland
Working in Dublin, I surveyed Natural Heritage Areas and County Geological Sites throughout the Republic of Ireland, as well as producing the exhibition stand for the Dublin Stone Show, where I highlighted the relationship between Ireland’s historic monuments and the geology that underlies them.

Although the weather at times hampered my efforts to explore Ireland, when driving along the roads that radiate from Dublin and snake around the coast - spectacular geology and landforms are seen everywhere.

It is not surprising that Geotourism is high on the agenda in Ireland and my time spent there was a great introduction to this aspect of geology.

In Ireland I was able to fully apply my skills but, after coming back to Rotherham to discover that my work prospects had not improved, I had to start thinking seriously about how to alleviate this situation. Not wanting to leave my interests in geology behind, I made the decision to get qualified as a teacher of English as a foreign language and to further investigate prospects in the European Geoparks - and other places where my experience would be better appreciated.

The Giant's Causeway