Friday 10 April 2015

In The Basement


A PowerPoint slide prepared for the Dublin Stone Show

Not every day at work at the Geological Survey of Ireland is spent in the bright sunshine, admiring spectacular landscapes or fine historic buildings, and for every successful project there needs to be a lot of unseen preparation which, for the Heritage Section, took place down in the basement.

The Irelithos poster
Having mostly seen Portland limestone, with lesser amounts of Irish Blue limestone and granite in Dublin, a true reflection of the city’s principal building stones, I thought I would need to go and see some of the provincial building stones – to give the display a flavour of the whole country – but firstly I had to get to grips with CorelDRAW.

I had never used this software before, and it was no simple task to resize and redesign an existing poster for the Irelithos project, but I soon produced a file that was ready for printing. With a draft of the Ireland’s Stone Built Heritage poster also made, I could now help with the other tasks needed to prepare the Dublin Stone Show.

Although the proposed display concisely highlighted the services of the GSI, and the Petrographic Analysis poster used photomicrographs from Castletown House and other Irelithos projects, most building stones don’t look very colourful or spectacular when viewed under a microscope.

Not having enough time to explore the extensive GSI collection of rock thin sections – which were also located along with the technicians in the basement - I decided to brighten up the display using a few photomicrographs that I brought with me from England and which I had been using for my Glowing Edges Designs.
 
Serpentinised olivine