Wednesday 8 April 2015

The Giant's Causeway


An exposure of columnar basalt

Returning from Co. Clare, having surveyed several County Geological Sites, the rest of August was spent writing up site reports and helping to organise a temporary exhibition at Beggars Bush, in the offices of the Geological Survey of Ireland. My next day out came as a real surprise.

A general view

The Giant's Causeway is Ireland’s best known geological site, with visitors from all over the world. Being very remote from Dublin, on the Co. Antrim coast, I hadn’t planned to go there. With Geotourism, education and public outreach being high on the agenda of the work of the Heritage Programme at the Geological Survey of Ireland, our boss - Matthew Parkes -  considered it a good idea for its staff to see this spectacular World Heritage Site.

Setting off at a more reasonable hour, than when driving to Co. Clare, we arrived just before lunchtime. Coming from Dublin on the M1, the Mourne Mountains – carved out of Tertiary age granite - welcome you to Northern Ireland. Except for a fortified watchtower, erected during “the troubles”, nothing suggested that a border between two different countries had been crossed.

A detail of columnar basalt

Skirting around Belfast, we left the motorway network and, quite eerily for me, passed through a village where kerbs and various other places were painted in the “English red, white and blue”. At that point, Finnian seemed concerned about the fact that we were driving in a car with Dublin number plates.

Not long after leaving this place, I was tempted to ask the rest of the party to stop at the village of Bushmills - so that I could buy a bottle of what I know to be an extremely good whiskey; however, we pressed on to see some fantastic geology instead.

Another view of columnar basalt

Having been on a field trip to Mt. Etna – a week after it had erupted - mapped the Borrowdale Volcanics, climbed Stromboli at night, luxuriated in the hot springs of Vulcano, and felt the ground trembling and hissing beneath my feet in the crater on Nisyros – I looked forward to seeing this ancient volcanic place.

Basalt deeply weathered to form red laterite

I had grown up seeing images of the Giant’s Causeway and Fingal’s Cave and my first impression was that it looked really small. It was another cloudy day and I didn't see it in its best light, but I was a bit disappointed. Quickly taking a few obligatory photos of the hexagonal columns and the ball and socket joints, we all moved on to explore the bay and the cliffs beyond.

A general view

For me, the red laterites, which record the intense weathering in a hot and humid tropical climate that existed in the early Tertiary period, are the most interesting feature and if I had been on my own, I would have had a much closer look at the variety of geology that can be seen here. I can’t really say what the tourist facilities are like here; we just stopped in the car park to eat and went to look at the rocks - before going on to Carrick-a-Rede...