Tuesday 11 October 2022

Historic Architecture in Chapeltown

 
A detail of the almshouses on Burncross Road

Having lived in High Green for a few years, more than 30 years ago, I passed the churches and schools on Lound Side very many times, without taking much notice of the historic buildings in the area, or the geology. It was therefore very satisfying to improve my knowledge of both, having already had a good walk from Grenoside, although I have to say that it was sad to see that the Newton family tomb is neglected and becoming overgrown. 
 
Housley Hall

Continuing my walk along Housley Park to the secluded private road, Housley Lane, I stopped to photograph the Grade II Listed Housley Hall for the British Listed Buildings website. Dating back to the C15, with some original timber framing and roof trusses, the Historic England description suggests that this may be the house of Thomas Rotherham, the Archbishop of York from 1480 to 1500 and a Lord Chancellor on two occasions.
 
Housley Hall

Although I have a right to photograph any building in a public place, I am always conscious of the response that I might receive from private landowners, when trying to sneak a photo over a wall, through a gateway or from another vantage point that would enable me to photograph the principal elements of the structure.
 
Housley Hall

In such situations, I don’t get the opportunity to study the stonework and have to rely on these quick snaps, which show that the central part of the C18 facade is built with yellowish stone, probably Grenoside Sandstone. This has also being used for the quoins in the wings, but the rubble sandstone in the walling is quite different and needs further investigation. 
 
The almshouses on Burncross Road
 
Moving on to Burncross Road, the next stone built historic building that I wanted to photograph was the reading room and almshouses, dated 1837, which is described in the Historic England listing as the Freeman Hospital. 
 
The almshouses on Burncross Road

My next stop on Burncross Road was the former Greenhead House restaurant, dating back to the early C18, which had a great reputation for serving jugged hare, various other game and other English dishes that you would never see served elsewhere in Sheffield. 
 
Greenhead House

I can’t remember what we all ate when celebrating a birthday here with friends, in the days when I lived in High Green, and I certainly didn’t notice the architectural qualities of this building at the time – or the building stone that is partly hidden by render. 
 
Greenhead House

I finished my brief exploration of the listed buildings of Chapeltown by photographing the war memorial in Chapeltown Park. Built in grey granite from the Cornubian batholith in south-west England, it comprises a simple classical pillar with an upper section with two cornices and a wreath with swags.
 
Chapeltown war memorial

No comments:

Post a Comment