Thursday 15 June 2023

Historic Architecture in Braithwell

 
A detail of the crinoidal limestone plaque on Braithwell village cross

For my last day out in April 2022, I decided to go and take another quick look at the village of Braithwell, which I had very briefly visited in September 2018 to take advantage of the Heritage Open Days held at the Church of St. James. 
 
Heritage Walks in Braithwell
 
On that occasion, I purchased a booklet with a couple of Heritage Walks in Braithwell and my plan was to use this and a list of 9 listed buildings, plus another in nearby Micklebring, to photograph for the British Listed Buildings website - as the basis of a 4.5 km walk that would fit in with the hourly bus service that serves Braithwell. 
 
Listed Buildings in Braithwell

Alighting from the No. 10 bus on Holywell Lane, the first building that I looked at was the Grade II Listed Old Hall Farmhouse (1771), which was scaffolded at the time and I could only view it and the separately listed gatepiers from the public footpath. 
 
Old Hall Farmhouse

I next photographed the restored village cross, which is both Grade II Listed and a scheduled monument. It is built with cross-bedded dolomitic limestone from the Permian Cadeby Formation, with an inscription in Norman French that translates 'Jesu, the son of Mary, remember our King and deliver him I pray', with a date of 1191. 
 
Braithwell village cross
 
The Carboniferous crinoidal limestone plaque attached to the cross is inscribed as follows, according to the Historic England description: 'This cross was erected to commemorate/The freeing from bondage of/KING RICHARD I circa 1191 / Restored in the Coronation year of / Her Majesty QUEEN ELIZABETH II / 1953'. 
 
A detail of Braithwell village cross

The late C18 to early C19 Rotherwood on Holywell Lane is built with limestone ashlar, with a Welsh slate roof, but its plain style is not particularly noteworthy and, after taking just a couple of record photos, I headed up High Street. 
 
Rotherwood

Continuing up Main Street, I noticed that the Garden Room Cafe that I had planned to revisit was now closed, which made me rethink about the route and timing of my walk. Although at the centre of a very attractive Conservation Area, where the vernacular materials of limestone ashlar and red pantiles contributed to its character, I realised that I would complete my photographic task before the next bus back to Rotherham arrived and that another hour spent in Braithwell was not merited on this occasion. 
 
The Braithwell Heritage Trail
 
Flicking through the booklet that I had purchased, I realised that its historical content was probably of more interest to local residents than someone like myself, who was more interested in the building stones and the former ruddle industry than the various characters from the village. 
 
The 1854 Ordnance Survey map of Braithwell
 
That said, I was very interested to see that the ancient mediaeval linear layout of the village hasn’t essentially changed since the 1854 Ordnance Survey Map was published, which was also a feature of Palterton in Derbyshire that particularly appealed to me. 
 
The old school house

Stopping to photograph the old school house (1693), which is built in the now familiar limestone and red pantiles, with the gable ends having shaped kneelers, at the time I didn’t notice the sundial on its south elevation or the weathered inscription/datestone to its front elevation. 
 
Braithwell war memorial
 
Braithwell war memorial (1921) is built with rock-faced Portland stone in the form of a Saxon cross, with the name of those in WWI inscribed on what Historic England describes as a battered base, with a Sword of Remembrance carved in shallow relief above. 
 
The Manor Farm dovecote

Reaching Micklebring Road, I headed east past the Church of St. James and carried on until I reached Manor Farm, which comprises a range of old farm buildings built in squared rubble walling, where I photographed the dovecote. I then retraced my steps to the rendered Manor House, which I could only get a glimpse of from the entrance gates, which have piers built from massive blocks of sandstone. 
 
Manor House
 
I finished my day at St. James' churchyard, firstly photographing the Grade II Listed headstone to Anne Brook (1784), a grave slab to the Sheppard and Jubb families (1728) and a group of three chest tombs of Sarah Hall (1773), George Brook (1727) and I.W. Graham (1820).
 
Graves and tombs in St. James' churchyard
 
After taking a couple of photos of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstone of Private E.H. Clayton of the Pioneer Corps, which is made in Portland limestone, I had a quick look at few interesting examples of weathered sandstone before making my way back to the bus stop.
 
Examples of weathered sandstone
 

No comments:

Post a Comment