Monday 5 December 2016

Archaeology at Beauchief Abbey


A layout plan of Beauchief Abbey

When setting out to thoroughly investigate St. Helen's church in Treeton, my principal aim was to revive my working interests in standing buildings archaeology, having undertaken surveys of All Saints church in Pontefract and Brodsworth Hall a few years ago - which I thought particularly suited my professional skills, experience and interests.


An old roofline to the east side of the tower


Whilst exploring the exterior of Beauchief Abbey, apart from studying the characteristics of the building stones, I saw various details to doors and windows and old rooflines, which give the archaeologist clues to its construction history and, when encountering a group of students in its grounds, I did wonder at what stage during their formal studies – if at all – they learn about the hard rock geology and the building stones that they are investigating.


A hand dug trench

Around the site, large fragments of moulded stone can be found lying about and, when looking at excavations of various old boundary walls and being requested to give my opinion on a large section of stone that had been uncovered – and which contrasted strongly with other fragments of stone that surrounded it – I was happy to advise.


A finely tooled section of stone found in a trench

No comments:

Post a Comment