Thursday 12 December 2019

An Afternoon in Skipton


The gateway to Skipton Castle

On my day out to Bolton Abbey and Skipton, taking advantage of the Rotherham Deanery Pilgrimage, I had managed to see some very interesting ecclesiastical architecture and some excellent geology in the morning. 

A crest on the gateway to Skipton Castle

I spent my lunchtime exploring Holy Trinity church and undertaking a quick reconnaissance of Skipton Castle which, with an entrance fee of £8.50, I decided was not good value for money and went with a friend for a pint of Timothy Taylor’s Landlord ale at the Woolly Sheep Inn instead, before walking back to the coach via the canal basin. 

Skipton War Memorial

Although High Street has various listed buildings, they were obscured by the numerous market stalls and, with throngs of locals and tourists filling the streets, I didn’t hang around; however, at the northern end of High Street, opposite Holy Trinity church, an impressive war memorial occupies the roundabout. 

The Leeds and Liverpool Canal

If I had been by myself, I would have spent the 2 hours available to have a very good look at the area around the canal basin, where the Leeds and Liverpool Canal meets the Springs Branch Canal, and various old mills and industrial buildings can be found. 

The Springs Branch Canal

By public transport, the journey to Skipton and back from Treeton is probably beyond me, but I would love to go back and spend a whole day there in the not too distant future - to explore the town and the area around Skipton Castle Woods.

A former Victorian chapel on Water Street

No comments:

Post a Comment