Friday 13 December 2019

Cawthorne Victoria Jubilee Museum


A general view of the Victoria Jubilee Museum

When I first visited the village of Cawthorne in April 2019, although the Victoria Jubilee Museum wasn’t open to the general public that day, I took advantage of an event arranged for its volunteers to make enquiries about the large rocks on its front steps.

Much to my surprise, I was invited in for a glass of wine and, having got a glimpse of the extremely diverse collection of objects that had been acquired by the Spencer-Stanhope family, I made a decision to come back to have another look in the summer.

A description of a glacial erratic

On the Saturday that I returned to Cawthorne, it had always been by plan to spend some of the morning in Barnsley, to see the current exhibitions at the Cooper Gallery and The Civic; however, the day also coincided with the opening of the new library, the Lord Mayor’s Parade and an open day at Barnsley Town Hall.

The Art Deco travertine staircase in Barnsley Town Hall

By the time that I eventually arrived at the museum, after visiting All Saints church and exploring parts of the village that I had not seen before, I only had an hour to look around before I had to catch my bus back to Barnsley, which had reduced considerably after talking to various people that I had met on my previous visit.

Display cabinets with various geological specimens

As a geologist, their extensive collection of rocks, minerals and fossils had then caught my eye and I spent most of my remaining time in the museum taking a few general photographs of them.

Various fossils and sea shells

The specimens that are laid out in the traditional glass display cases are all labelled and, although set out rather haphazardly, form quite a decent collection. At a time when many publicly funded museums seem to place little value on their geology collections, and keep them away from public view, it is good to see them on display.

Miscellaneous geological specimens

No comments:

Post a Comment