Wednesday 6 March 2024

An Afternoon in Bakewell - Part 3

 
A limestone reef on South Church Street

To photograph the next few listed buildings on my list, during my afternoon in Bakewell, I had to head up past Yeld Road and then on to the Monyash Road, which I sometimes used when going out to survey the RIGS in the Peak District National Park - back in 1995, when I lived in the town. 
 
The retaining wall to All Saints churchyard
 
After taking a general photograph of the retaining wall of All Saints churchyard from the south side of South Church Street, I crossed over and continued up the path. The autumn leaves had started to fall and were accumulating at the base of the wall but, as a geologist, I was very quick to spot a very small outcrop of thinly bedded limestone poking out from beneath it. 
 
A small outcrop of thinly bedded limestone

A little further on, a larger outcrop of bedded limestone underpins a longer section of the boundary wall and at its western end spreads out into the pavement. Just beyond this, a few more small blocky outcrops of the same well bedded limestone can also be seen. 
 
Outcrops on South Church Street

Looking at the online version of the 1:50,000 British Geological Survey map, which is the most accurate map that I can refer to, the outcrop is at the point where the Monsal Dale Limestone Formation meets the overlying Eyam Limestone Formation. 
 
No further than 25 metres from the place where I discovered my first outcrop, between the path up to the church and Church Lane, the limestone completely changes character – from a thinly bedded limestone to an irregular mass that has no obvious bedding. 
 
An unbedded mass of limestone
 
From its west end, perched precariously on the edge of an extremely narrow kerbed footpath, it appeared to be about 1 metre high with a generally 'brecciated' nature and I could see a small zone of near vertical fractures. 
 
The reef on South Church Street
 
I just took a single photograph and didn’t try to find fossils or collect a sample but, when crossing back over South Church Street to look at it from a distance, I could see that this was just the start of a larger irregular mass that is several metres long and which I think must be a small reef. 
 
The reef on South Church Street
 
Although none are marked on the geological map immediately around Bakewell, both flat and knoll reefs are a common feature of the Eyam Limestone Formation and, on the opposite side of the road, the holiday home is named Knoll Cottage. 
 
Having never seen a natural limestone outcrop before in Bakewell, this was an unexpected surprise and I could easily have stopped my walk here; however, I still had to go and photograph Pinfold Cottage, the steps, railings and retaining walls to Mayfield Cottage and Westfield Cottage and the roadside boundary wall to the Old Vicarage. 
 
The steps and railings at Mayfield Cottage and Westfield Cottage
 

No comments:

Post a Comment