Saturday 9 March 2024

An Afternoon in Bakewell - Part 6

 
Milford Bridge

After having a quick look at the interior of All Saints church, during my afternoon in Bakewell, I set off to continue with my British Listed Buildings Photo Challenge at North Church Street, but firstly I photographed the unusual rusticated gritstone dressings to the unlisted Ollerset House.
 
Rusticated dressings at Ollerset House
 
The garden wall and gate posts at The Limes were the first on my list, followed by the early C19 asymmetrical pair of gritstone cottages at Nos. 25 and 26 and their front garden walls, with the latter being included for group value. 
 
Nos.25 and 26 North Church Street
 
The late C18 to early C19 terrace of four gritstone cottages - Jasmine Cottage, Green Lea, Bryn Cott and Claverley House - were the next properties to photograph, with their front garden walls again included only for group value. 
 
Jasmine Cottage, Green Lea, Bryn Cott and Claverley House
 
A little further down North Church Street are the Grade II Listed Imsworth Cottage, Gritston Cottage and Wainstones, which Historic England describe as probably being of C18 origin, but were later refronted in the early C19. 
 
Imsworth Cottage, Gritston Cottage and Wainstones
 
Crossing the road to photograph the churchyard steps, which are listed along with the churchyard wall and other entrances and railings, I made my way down to Buxton Road to find Rutland Terrace and photograph its railings. 
 
Rutland Terrace and its gates and railings

A little further up the road is the late C18 to early C19 Rutland House, where again it was the gate and railings that needed to be photographed and not the house itself. Taking a quick diversion down Bath Street, I took a few quick photos of the gateway, gate piers and plinth wall to the former Trustees Savings Bank, before returning to Buxton Road. 
 
Rutland House and its gate and railings

When I lived in Bakewell for three years, I had passed by No.7 Buxton Road very many times and was always interested to see that the stonework below the window was severely eroded to a depth of several centimetres – the result of recrystallising road salt – and that, more than 25 years later, it had finally been restored. 
 
No. 7 Buxton Road
 
Carrying on along Buxton Road, I then went to look for the stile between the bridge over the Victoria Mill tailrace and Milford House Hotel, but I couldn’t see any sign of it and so I just took a photo of the late C18 to early C19 gritstone bridge. 
 
The bridge over the tailrace
 
I made my way back towards Bakewell along Brook Side to Castle Street and then to Bridge Street, where I took a few photos of the perimeter wall that runs along the back of the gardens of the terraced of houses known as Wye Bank. 
 
The perimeter wall to the rear of Wye Bank
 
Finding a path that took me down by the River Wye, I then took a few close up photos of the perimeter wall and from here I had a good view of the north elevation of the Grade I Listed Bakewell Bridge, which dates back to c.1300. 
 
Bakewell Bridge
 
Arriving back in the centre of Bakewell, I next photographed the mid C19 Bagshaws Estate Agents and the early C18 Denman House on Bridge Street, both of which are built in gritstone but, except for the segmental pediment of the latter, neither have great architectural merit. 
 
Bagshaws and Denman House

On Water Street, Wye Cottage and Granby Cottage, dated to the early C17 and probably C18 respectively, are built in limestone with gritstone dressings and, like many of the older houses in central Bakewell, have been converted into a restaurant and shops. 
 
Wye Cottage and Granby Cottage
 
Stopping to photograph the garden wall of Wye Cottage, I continued along Water Street to the gritstone Granby House, dated to the late C18 with a C19 addition, before going to get some shopping at the local Co-Op and then heading back to Rutland Square. 
 
Granby House
 
While waiting fro the No. 218 bus back to Sheffield, I took a few photographs of the Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop on the opposite side of the road, which has probably C18 origins and was altered during the C19, before finishing my Photo Challenge by photographing the steps, railings and walls to the Royal Bank of Scotland building. 
 
The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop
 
Although, apart from All Saints church and Bagshaw Hall, most of the buildings that I had seen in Bakewell weren’t of great architectural interest – especially the various walls, gate piers and railings – I had a good 4 km walk and saw several new places.
 
Steps, railings and walls to the former Royal Bank of Scotland
 

No comments:

Post a Comment