Friday 30 November 2018

A Sculpture Trail at Stoneface Creative


One face of a revolving double sided sculpture

When starting this Language of Stone Blog, I had intentions of trying to connect with like minded professionals who share my interest in stone - geology, geoheritagehistoric architecture, archaeology and public sculpture and monuments

Stoneface Creative on Storrs Lane

Also, as a qualified teacher of English as a foreign language (TEFL) and a student of both Spanish and Italian, I have been making contact with geologists from both countries who are interested in Geoheritage and tourism - and I like to think that my brief reports on the various places that I have visited will be of interest to them. 

A sculpted grindstone

On the last day of September, which had proved to be a very busy month – culminating in visits to the Longshaw Estate, Ranmoor and the Hill Top Chapel/All Saints church - I made a big effort to get to Storrs Wood, set in the Loxley Valley, where a Woodland Weekend was being organised by Stoneface Creative

A sandstone sculpture

I first came across Andrew Vickers at an event in Kelham Island Museum a few years ago and last year, when exploring the village of Grenoside, I discovered some more of his work – which I particularly liked. 

A sculpture in the Wood Shed

I had seen an advert for the Woodland Weekend event the year before but, being reliant on public transport, I thought that its remote location would make it very difficult to get to; however, making the most of the continuing dry weather, I decided to combine my visit with a walk along the River Loxley back to Malin Bridge, where I would catch a tram back to Sheffield. 

A multifaceted sculpture

From Treeton, where I live, to Storrs Wood, it needed two buses journeys and one on the tram to get to the Admiral Rodney at Loxley – which needed careful planning with the Sunday service – and then a further 15 minute walk, but I was so glad that I made the effort. 

The war memorial on Storrs Lane
 
Walking up from the River Loxley, the roadside on Storrs Lane – which has a war memorial and several sculpted gateposts - was packed with cars at lunchtime and this event was clearly very popular with families with young children. 

A carved gatepost on Storrs Lane

I briefly looked around the gallery space at Mill Spring House, before spending over an hour exploring the trail of mainly sandstone sculptures, which is in a magnificent woodland setting next to Storrs Brook, and then setting off to explore the River Loxley.

A sandstone sculpture

No comments:

Post a Comment