Thursday 11 May 2023

A Walk from Upperthorpe to Broomhall

 
A detail of St. Mark's Church Mission Room

After my brief investigation of the former Sheffield Royal Infirmary, I took a few photos of various Grade II Listed brick built early Victorian houses on Upperthorpe Road and made my way up through the Ponderosa to the corner of Mushroom Lane and Winter Street. 
 
A gatepier at Weston Park
 
Here there is a large complex of substantial brick buildings at St. Georges Hospital (1882), part of which is occupied the Department of Law at Sheffield University. I just took a few record photos and continued to the bottom entrance to Weston Park, where massive gritstone has been used for gatepiers and planar bedded sandstone for the walling – which I presume to be further examples of Chatsworth Grit and Crawshaw Sandstone respectively.
 
A detail of walling and a gatepier at Weston Park

Continuing up through Weston Park, I stopped briefly to take a few photographs of the entrance portico to the Grade II* Listed Mappin Art Gallery (1887), by Edward Mitchel Gibbs of Flockton and Gibbs, which is now part of Weston Park Museum. 
 
The portico at the Mappin Art Gallery
 
The building is made of uniformly coloured buff/light brown medium grained massive sandstone, which is probably from the Millstone Grit Group of Derbyshire or West Yorkshire. It is very suitable for fine carving, as can be seen in the details of the pediment, which incudes the Sheffield crest, floral decoration and what appears to be artist’s palettes with paintbrushes. 
 
A detail of the pediment at the Mappin Art Gallery

I then made my way down past various hospital and university buildings down to Claremont Place, where I photographed the early Victorian, brick built Nos.8 and 10 and then the old Baptist Church (1871) on Glossop Road, which has a Sunday School (1886) by C.J. Innocent – who was best known for his designs of the early Sheffield Board Schools. 
 
The former Baptist church on Glossop Road
 
Continuing down Brunswick Street, the unlisted St. Mark’s Church Mission Room (1905) provides another example of uniformly buff coloured Crawshaw Sandstone, with its distinctive planar bedding and relatively thin courses. 
 
St. Mark’s Church Mission Room
 
A little further down Brunswick Street, at the corner of Collegiate Crescent, is one of the former lodges to the Broomhall Estate - parts of which I had investigated the previous year and, although I didn’t inspect the stone, it looks more massive than the Crawshaw Sandstone. 
 
A former lodge to the Broomhall Estate
 
The last buildings on my list to photograph were Nos. 2-4 and 6-8 Collegiate Crescent, two pairs of semi-detached houses that were built c1845 with grey to orange coloured ashlar sandstone and massive sandstone dressings. 
 
Nos. 2-8 Collegiate Crescent

Having photographed all of the buildings on my list, I then made my way back towards Sheffield City Centre via Winter Street, where I was interested to see that the Eyewitness Works were being refurbished and, after picking up some more shopping on The Moor, I finished a good long walk with a pint of stout at the Old Queen's Head.
 
A pint of stout at the Queen's Head
 

No comments:

Post a Comment