Sunday 24 January 2021

From Handsworth to Myrtle Bank Farm

 
An anchor plate
 
In week 17 of the COVID-19 Pandemic restrictions, following my trip to Bowden Housteads Wood and the site of the old Handsworth Quarries, I took advantage of a sunny afternoon to spend a couple of hours further exploring the geology of the Shirtcliffe Valley.
 
The tower and steeple at St. Mary's church

Having been provided with a map showing the various pathways by Pat Howells of the Friends of Shirtcliffe, who I had met in the Shirtcliffe Valley a few weeks earlier, I started my walk at St. Mary’s church in Handsworth.
 
Handsworth war memorial

After taking a photograph of the Portland limestone war memorial, I walked through the churchyard and went to have a quick look at the Grade II Listed former Handsworth Vicarage, where I had photographed the stable block sometime ago but didn’t venture any further.
 
The front elevation of Handsworth Vicarage
 
This time I went through the stable block to have a look at the vicarage and, despite the south elevation being largely covered in Boston ivy, I saw enough to give me an insight into the various building stones that have been used here.
 
A detail of the west wing

The front elevation of the house, which dates back to the mid C17, is built in what appears to be the same ‘ginger nut’ hued sandstone that I had previously observed in the majority of historic buildings in Handsworth.
 
A bay window on the east elevation

Walking around the vicarage to look at the community garden, I was interested to see that a large C19 bay window has been built with Rotherham Red sandstone. This has the same characteristics as that seen at St. Joseph’s Catholic church, which has been identified as Treeton stone from the old Duke of Norfolk’s quarry at Bole Hill Plantation.
 
Treeton stone quoins

Looking closer at the parts of the south elevation that the Boston ivy has not yet covered, I noticed that Treeton stone has also been used for window dressings and quoins, with unusual decoration, at the junction with the east wing.
 
The east elevation of the stable block

Stopping briefly to have a look at the masonry and anchor plate on the east elevation of the stable block, I then followed the bridleway that runs alongside the churchyard down towards the area marked on the map as Myrtle Bank Farm.
 
The bridleway to Myrtle Bank Farm
 

No comments:

Post a Comment