Sunday 3 January 2021

From Harthill to Kiveton Park


A sculpture of a pit pony

On the last day of May 2020, during week 11 of the COVID-19 Pandemic restrictions, having explored the geology and historic buildings in the area immediately surrounding Treeton - finishing with a walk to Guilthwaite and back - I decided to travel further afield on the X54 bus.
 
I had used this route very many times before to explore the mediaeval churches in Harthill, Todwick and Aston among others, but with only an irregular service on a Sunday, I needed to plan my trip well and therefore decided to investigate the area around Kiveton Community Woodland.
 
A detail of efflorescence on Rotherham Red sandstone walling

Alighting from the bus in the centre of Harthill, I was interested to see that much of the Rotherham Red sandstone walling here was exhibiting severe efflorescence, like I had seen a few weeks previously at St. Helen’s church in Treeton – something I had not seen before during numerous previous visits to this village.
 
Excavated subsoil
 
After photographing All Hallows church, I made my way down Union Street, where excavations in a front garden had exposed weathered Mexborough Rock, which underlies Harthill and has been quarried in several locations around the village.
 
Salvaged finials

A little further down the road, in another front garden, I was very surprised to see a couple of old, highly weathered dolomitic limestone finials that I presume were salvaged from the church across the road, when its mediaeval tower was restored.
 
A bridge over Broad Bridge Dyke

Taking the path at the edge of the village, I followed it past undulating agricultural land where the reddened soil is derived from the Mexborough Rock lying beneath, until I came to Broad Bridge Dike, which was barely flowing at the time
 
The escarpment of Mexborough Rock at Harthill

This small stream runs down from Harthill Reservoir, which was built as a feeder for the Chesterfield Canal, and on the geological map it is seen to occupy an extensive area of alluvium that records the position of its former courses.
 
A view towards Kiveton Park

Finally arriving at Kiveton Community Woodland, which has been reclaimed from the former Kiveton Park Colliery tip, I made my way up to the viewing point from which high ground formed by the Mexborough can be seen in the distance. Looking around me, compared to the Waverley Estate, I thought that this was a much better example of land restoration.
 
A memorial to coal miners at Kiveton Park Colliery

Walking down towards the lakes, many people had come out on this sunny day and, passing a memorial to the miners who had died at the colliery, I continued as far as the former Kiveton Park Colliery Offices on Colliery Road.
 
A boulder of dolomitic limestone

I then stopped briefly to look at a large isolated boulder of dolomitic limestone, which forms part of the landscaping. From a distance, I thought perhaps that the unusual surface on the bedding plane might be the remains of burrows; however, looking closely, it has a very strange angular texture to it, whose origin I have still been unable to determine.

An unusual surface texture in dolomitic limestone

No comments:

Post a Comment