Sunday 10 January 2021

From Richmond Road to Handsworth

 
A keystone carved with a fleur-de-lys

Entering week 14 of the COVID-19 Pandemic restrictions in the UK, I had tried to take a good walk once a week in addition to doing my essential shopping and, although I had only seen rock outcrops at Richmond Road, the Waverley Estate and Shirtcliff Wood, my understanding of the local geology had improved considerably.
 
A geological map of Handsworth

By comparing British Geological Survey and Ordnance Survey online maps, and others, to the various slopes and topography that I had encountered along the routes of my walks – as well as noting the building stones used in boundary walls and historic buildings – I had demonstrated that a study of urban geology can be very productive.
 
An Ordnance Survey map of Handsworth

My next trip to Bowden Housteads Wood, another green space that I had never heard of, was partly based on the fact that the Parkway Man, a sculpture that I had see many times from the Sheffield Parkway, was located there.

The 1855 map showing quarries in Handsworth

Also, a source on Wikipedia had stated that a small quarry there was one of three that had supplied the ‘ginger nut’ hued sandstone that is such a distinctive feature of the majority of Handsworth’s historic buildings.
 
The path on Richmond Road

Arriving on the 73 bus at Richmond Road, opposite the entrance to the Shirtcliffe Valley, I took the path next to the A57 and carried on until I reached the entrance to the wood without seeing anything of interest. Once inside, I didn’t deviate from the paths and, although I came across a small dry valley, I didn’t see any signs of the quarry.
 
A dry valley

Having since looked at the position of the quarry on the 1855 Ordnance Survey map and obtained access to LIDAR maps, it looks like the quarry was consumed by the building of the Sheffield Parkway and the A57 junction.
 
A LIDAR map of Handsworth

When I finally arrived at the Parkway Man, I was very surprised to discover that it had been painted, in support of the doctors, nurses and other support staff at the National Health Service during the time of the COVID-19 Pandemic
 
Parkway Man

Continuing alongside the Sheffield Parkway past lots of rubbish and a few shopping trolleys from the adjoining ASDA supermarket, I then crossed over Handsworth Road, where I had a quick look at a small group of houses that first appeared on the 1894 map.
 
Houses on Richmond Road

As with the other buildings further along Handsworth Road, they are built in sandstone with the locally distinctive ‘ginger nut’ hue. I don’t know anything about their history, but the window heads of the detached house and terrace of cottages here are decorated with a fleur-de-lys.
 
Waverley Cottages

From here I carried on alongside the Sheffield Parkway towards the Advanced Manufacturing Park, where I encountered Waverley Cottages, another group of small houses that appear on the 1924 map. Again built in a similar sandstone, a close inspection shows it to be grey to orange in colour, with a medium grain size and well developed cross-bedding.
 
Sandstone walling at Waverley Cottages

No comments:

Post a Comment